Need an emergency dentist? Keep reading to learn about the seven most common dental emergencies, what to do and where to go for help when you need it.
Tooth pain can indicate a serious problem and should never be ignored. What to do:
- Brush and floss to dislodge any trapped food that could be the source of your pain.
- Apply a cold compress to the outside of the area.
- Make an appointment to visit our Calgary dental clinic as soon as possible.
2. Broken teeth
If your tooth chips or breaks suddenly, do the following:
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- Save any fragments of tooth that you find.
- Apply gauze to bleeding gums.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and pain.
- Seek professional dental care.
3. Abscessed tooth
An abscess is a serious and painful infection between the gums and the teeth that requires urgent care. If left untreated, the infection can spread and damage surrounding teeth and gums. If you suspect that you have an abscessed tooth contact Sunridge Dental Clinicright away.
4. Dislodged tooth
If your tooth has been partially dislodged, see an emergency dentist as soon as you can. While you’re waiting for treatment:
- Apply a cold compress to the outside of the affected area.
- Take an over the counter pain-reliever.
5. Tooth knocked-out
If your tooth has been completely knocked out, come to our N.E. Calgary dental clinic without delay. Our emergency dentists may be able to restore your tooth if you act quickly. Here’s what to do:
- Find the missing tooth and rinse it off. Don’t scrub it.
- Put the tooth in a container with some contact lens solution and go immediately to the dentist’s office.
6. Missing filling
Missing fillings need to be replaced by a dentist as soon as possible to stop new cavities from forming on the exposed tooth. While you are waiting to see the dentist you can:
- Apply dental cement to the area.
- If dental cement is unavailable, fill the cavity with sugarless gum until you get to the dental clinic.
7. Lost crown
A lost crown should be treated as soon as possible. Come into our dental clinic as soon as you can and in the meantime:
- Try to slip the crown back into place using dental cement or toothpaste to secure it to the tooth.
- Take an over-the-counter pain-reliever if you are experiencing discomfort.
Our family dental clinic offers a wide range of dental treatments for the whole family. And at Strathcona Dental Works in Southwest Calgary, new patients are always welcome. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to book an appointment. We take the bite out of seeing the dentist!