Are you expecting? If you or anyone you know will be expecting a baby in the near future, it’s never too late to get your teeth checked to ensure a smooth pregnancy for you and your baby. Here’s a list of things to watch out during each stage of your pregnancy:
- Check with your insurance provider for any extra coverage during your pregnancy
- Watch for pregnancy gingivitis; puffy and swollen gums from the change in hormones
- Use bland toothpaste and a small extra soft toothbrush to avoid morning sickness
- If you are suffering from morning sickness, make sure you rinse your mouth out regularly
- Even if you’re not 100% sure you are pregnant, let your dentist know you may be expecting, always better to aire on the side of caution!
- Avoid sugary snacks even during strong cravings, best to snack on some berries if the sugar cravings kick in
- Make sure your diet does include enough Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 and Calcium, supplements may be necessary
- Keep an eye out for Pregnancy Granuloma; small temporary tumors found on the gums or even lips, they can show up during the 1st trimester and may linger till the 7th month of pregnancy
- Avoid dental treatments during the last 6 weeks pf pregnancy, get in before this time period to check everything
- Be very diligent with your daily home care regimen, flossing and brushing twice a day and frequently rinsing
- Schedule a follow up after the baby arrives
- All major dental surgeries and, or treatments should be postponed till after the baby arrives
- X-rays, ultrasound and nitrous oxide are all safe during breastfeeding
- Watch for Baby Bottle Tooth Decay; start brushing your babies teeth with a soft toothbrush and water as soon as they start coming in. Even a wet washcloth will work!
- Continue to take your supplements if not getting enough nutrients through your diet to aid in proper breast milk function
Always remember that your oral health is a key part of your overall health. If you are not sure of the direction to take or have any questions during, before or after your pregnancy, give our amazing staff a call! Our team of dentists are here to aid in giving your child the start they need. Give our clinic a call and see what a difference we here at Strathcona Dental Works can do for you.