We all wish we could see the future, especially when it comes to dental emergencies but since there is no way to know when a dental emergency will strike, there are some simple steps that can help if it does creep up. We have compiled a list of the most common dental emergencies and what to do to treat them at home with a little self-care.
Tooth pain can indicate a serious problem and should never be ignored. We suggest:
- To brush and floss to dislodge any trapped food that could be the source of your pain.
- Apply a cold compress to the outside of the area.
- Over the counter pain medication may be taken but a visit to our clinic should be scheduled if pain persists more then 2 days. *Make sure you check inserts on all painkillers when you are dealing with children under the age of 12.*
2. Broken teeth
If your tooth chips or breaks suddenly, do the following:
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water.
- Save any fragments of tooth that you find.
- Apply gauze to bleeding gums.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and pain.
- Seek professional dental care at our clinic as soon as possible.
3. Abscessed tooth
An abscess is a serious and painful infection between the gums and the teeth that requires urgent care. If left untreated, the infection can spread and damage surrounding teeth and gums. If you suspect that you have an abscessed tooth contact our clinic right away.
4. Dislodged tooth
If your tooth has been partially dislodged, see our team at Strathcona Dental Works as soon as you can. While you’re waiting for your treatment we suggest:
- To apply a cold compress to the outside of the affected area.
- Take an over the counter pain-reliever. *Make sure you check inserts on all painkillers when you are dealing with children under the age of 12.*
5. Tooth knocked-out
If your tooth has been completely knocked out, come to our dental clinic without delay. Our dentists may be able to restore your tooth if you act quickly. Here’s what to do:
- Find the missing tooth and rinse it off. Don’t scrub it.
- Put the tooth in a container with some contact lens solution and go immediately to the dentist’s office.
6. Missing filling
Missing fillings need to be replaced by a dentist as soon as possible to stop new cavities from forming on the exposed tooth. While you are waiting to see the dentist you can:
- Apply dental cement to the area.
- If dental cement is unavailable, fill the cavity with sugarless gum until you get to the dental clinic.
7. Lost crown
A lost crown should be treated as soon as possible. Come into our dental clinic as soon as you can and in the meantime:
- Try to slip the crown back into place using dental cement or toothpaste to secure it to the tooth.
- Take an over-the-counter pain-reliever if you are experiencing discomfort but please remember to schedule your appointment as soon as possible.
Our family dental clinic offers a wide range of dental emergency treatments for the whole family. We at Strathcona Dental Works are always accepting new patients to our Strathcona clinic in Calgary. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to book an appointment. We take care of your family, one smile at a time!