Dental care during pregnancy doesn’t have to be a scary thing. Not only is dental care during pregnancy critical to the expecting mother, but also to her unborn baby.
It’s never too late to get your teeth checked to ensure a smooth pregnancy for you and your baby. Here’s a list of things to watch out for during each stage of your pregnancy:
- Check with your insurance provider for any extra coverage during your pregnancy
- Watch for pregnancy gingivitis; puffy and swollen gums from the change in hormones
- Use bland toothpaste and a small extra soft toothbrush to avoid morning sickness
- If you are suffering from morning sickness, make sure you rinse your mouth out regularly
- Even if you’re not 100% sure you are pregnant, let your dentist know you may be expecting, always better to aire on the side of caution!
- Avoid sugary snacks even during strong cravings, best to snack on some berries if the sugar cravings kick in
- Make sure your diet does include enough Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 and Calcium, supplements may be necessary
- Keep an eye out for Pregnancy Granuloma; small temporary tumors found on the gums or even lips, they can show up during the 1st trimester and may linger till the 7th month of pregnancy
- Avoid dental treatments during the last 6 weeks pf pregnancy, get in before this time period to check everything
- Be very diligent with your daily home care regimen, flossing and brushing twice a day and frequently rinsing
- Schedule a follow up after the baby arrives
- All major dental surgeries and, or treatments should be postponed till after the baby arrives
- X-rays, ultrasound and nitrous oxide are all safe during breastfeeding
- Watch for Baby Bottle Tooth Decay; start brushing your babies teeth with a soft toothbrush and water as soon as they start coming in. Even a wet washcloth will work!
- Continue to take your supplements if not getting enough nutrients through your diet to aid in proper breast milk function
Always remember that your oral health is a key part of your overall health. If you are not sure of the direction to take or have any questions during, before or after your pregnancy, give our amazing staff a call! Our team of dentists are here to aid in giving your child the start they need. Give our clinic a call and see what a difference we here at Strathcona Dental Works can do for you.